Ever since Cody Rhodes brought Jey Uso to Raw, the locker room has been divided over whether the former Bloodline stalwart can be trusted. On Monday night, Uso delivered a message in his own defense by fending off Judgment Day’s advances in Raw’s main event.
Uso has been courted by members of Judgment Day since joining Raw, with locker room members such as Kevin Owens and Drew McIntyre doubting that Uso could avoid turning to the dark side again and aligning himself with a heel faction. In losing to McIntyre, Uso said a firm “no thanks” to these advances by landing superkicks on Damian Priest, Finn Balor and Dominik Mysterio.
CBS Sports was with you all night with recaps and highlights of all the action from the Delta Center in Salt Lake City.
Jey Uso makes decision about joining Judgment Day
Cody Rhodes defeated. Dominik Mysterio by pinfall with Cruz Rhodes. After the match, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn rushed to the ring before Judgment Day could attack Rhodes. This led to a conversation between Rhodes, Owens, and Zayn about trusting Jey Uso. Owens eventually relented, saying that he would trust his friends that Uso had outgrown after his time with The Bloodline, but that Owens hoped he was right in believing in Rhodes and Zayn.
Later in the show, Uso was confronted by Damian Priest backstage. Priest told Uso that The Bloodline was made up of Uso’s relatives, but Judgment Day was a family. Priest then told Uso not to make him look bad in front of his family and to say yes or no to joining by the end of the night. Later, Uso interrupted Zayn and Owens because Owens was upset to see Uso talking to Priest.
Drew McIntyre defeated. Jey Uso by pinfall after a Claymore. Judgment Day arrived at the ring early and quickly interfered in the fight, trying to shift the momentum in Uso’s favor. As Uso sat in the corner, Judgment Day encouraged him. Uso briefly teased about joining the group by punching Priest before superkicking all three Judgment Day members at ringside. McIntyre took the opportunity to deliver a Claymore for the win and left as Judgment Day entered the ring to attack Uso. McIntyre seemed conflicted about helping before deciding not to interfere, but Rhodes ran into the ring to get away from the trio as the show left the air.
Uso proved he could be a Bachelor star during his time on The Bloodline storyline. He’s now getting the chance to exist somewhat outside of that story – though not without consistent references to his past indiscretions – and he’s delivering at a high level. This storyline will dominate Raw in the coming weeks and months, but the players involved certainly have the talent to make it work. Grade: B+
What else happened on WWE Raw?
- Kofi Kingston defeated. Ivar by pinfall in trouble in paradise. This was billed as a two out of three falls match between New Day and Viking Raiders before the show, but it was a straight singles match. Fortunately, the bait and switch didn’t matter too much as both men had a fantastic match.
- Shinsuke Nakamura defeated. Ricochet by disqualification after Ricochet hit him with a chair. Before the match, Seth Rollins attempted to attack Nakamura, but was stopped by security. Rollins got the opportunity after the match, running in after Nakamura hit Ricochet’s leg several times with a chair. As Rollins attempted to deliver a Pedigree, Nakamura backdropped him into the chair before making several moves on the commentary table that also impacted Rollins’ injured back.
- Chelsea Green and Piper Niven defeated. Shayna Baszler and Zoey Stark by disqualification after Nia Jax ran in and attacked Niven. Jax then attacked all four women and knocked each of them down before leaving the ring.
- Bronson Reed defeated. Chad Gable by pinfall with a tsunami. The match took place after a confrontation between the two backstage.
- Tommaso Ciampa defeated. Giovanni Vinci by submission with the Sicilian section. A Ciampa promo aired earlier in the night with Ciampa calling for a fight with Gunther.
- NXT Women’s Championship – Becky Lynch (c) defeated. Natalya by pinfall with a winding. Lynch issued an open challenge for the title, which Natalya responded to before being pinned following a series of pin reversals.